Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dark Knight


My hubby and I went out on an afternoon lunch and movie date. We ate at our town center's new family-owned cantina and then saw Dark Knight.

Stunning. Splendid. I didn't want to like Ledger's work just because everyone is talking about him...what with the abrupt ending of his life. However...his character was terrifying, the stuff of nightmares...but mixed in with moments where it made me laugh out loud. It was such a strange experience. I could not believe this was the same Ledger from 10 Things I Hate About You or A Knight's Tale. He was fantastic.

Part of why I worried Ledger was going to get too much attention -which he is, and rightfully so... is that Christian Bale is equally magnificent. I have been a fan of his since Disney's Newsies. If a guy can dance, sing and act... I'm a huge fan. I loved the old movies where all the actors were true MDT people. Bale is well - scrumptious.

As for Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine - they are gentleman in every sense of the word. They add to every scene ...they class up the gig. They can't help but command respect.

Unfortunately... Gyllenhaal taking over for Holmes... was merely an exchange of poor choice actresses. I hope the next one... they'll find a woman who can rise to the occasion to match her male counterparts.

Eckhart is a surprise. He actually held his own.

I love Nolan's direction with Batman. He infuses the movies with a realism and dark grittiness that remind me of the new 007's with Daniel Craig.

ps. I'm also excited for Bale as the new John Connor in Terminator...

No comments: