Thursday, October 1, 2009

Make-up Work

It's incredibly, embarrassingly, late.

...let's face it... there are other more important things in real life I am enjoying.

So...let's get to the HOMEWORK it so I can get back to la vida.

~Think about an old person you love or admire. Write a detailed description of the character and experience reflected in their face. Use a thesaurus if necessary to find the most precise words. (Ideas: conviction, spunk, wit.) What do you hope to look like when you're old?

I love President and Sister Hinckley. They were both incredibly faithful, determined and hard-working. I loved their sense of humor, their raw humanity. I love reading Sister Hinckley's letters to her children, her grandchildren and her husband. Reading her thoughts confirm what I believe - genuine women are real. They have spunk, they have great days, they have bad days, they get riled up when one of their own children are messed with. They are courageous and steadfast. I love the intelligence they both shared, as well as their real-world wisdom. I adored their humor, their ability to poke fun at themselves, and not take themselves seriously.

You always knew exactly where you stood with the Hinckleys. I don't think they minced words. I love their frankness, done with love. I love their honesty, sincerity... they ROCK.

They were two petite little people, who were giants in my eyes of what I would like to be. I admired that because they were united, they grew to look like one another. I hope to be like that. Sister Hinckley and President Hinckley had these naturally aged faces full of JOY. I don't want the plasticized, over-glopped mask that so many opt for... I want to simply radiate JOY. With any luck... I may just get my wish.


~Blog about something you never leave home without. Prompt: "I never go anywhere without double-stick tape. I use it for _________.

My iPhone, or any cell phone. Can't leave home without it. I'm a big... in case x happens, I need to be able to call for help. I've accidentally been driven into "ghetto" areas by my hubby...not a peaceful, stress-less experience, cell phone is important... also navigation so you don't accidentally get caught in a seedy neighborhood.


~Do you remember a special book from your childhood? Who read it to you?


There was this book my Mom read to us kids when we were in elementary school. She read it in Chinese - so I can't remember the title... but it was about a boy... who dealt with some tragic things in his life. I can't remember details, but I remember how I felt. I remember crying listening to the story, I remember holding my breath waiting to find out what would happen next. I remember how the words my Mom read could transport me into the story. That's why I love to read... it's why it makes my heart happy that my children love it when I read to them.


~Come up with ten words that describe you and your image. Ideas: current, attractive, confident, casual, unique, elegant. Look your words up in the dictionary and let the definitions inspire you. Write a Personal Style Statement such as, "I project a sophisticated, unique presence," or I present an image of confidence, elegance and quality."

Ten words... that is going to be a stretch - but here goes (I guess it could also be what I want to be)
1. Honest
2. Quirky
3. Sincere
4. Thoughtful
5. Loyal
6. Determined
7. Intelligent
8. Centered
9. Funny
10. Confident

I present an image of a woman who knows who she is, and where her power comes from.


~List 8 ways you've surprised yourself lately. Ideas: "I'm a better cook than my mother-in-law." "I was too nervous to get out of the car."

1. I prefer being a mother to being a career woman.
2. Anyone can cook.
3. There are few women who really know who they are - it's a little unsettling.
4. My kids teach me more than I teach them.
5. We're not as smart as we think...that's why I like to keep learning.
6. I don't care what anyone else, outside my circle - (God, hubby, kids) thinks of me.
7. I never wear make-up unless it's for Church or some outing. Even then it's minimal.
8. I can learn almost anything I put my heart into.


~What books or movies about World War II would you recommend?
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Band of Brothers
3. Schindler's List
4. Life is Beautiful


~Write about a tradition that has influenced your life in a positive way. Idea: "Our family always had family prayer before we opened the Christmas presents; my mom always wrote a letter to us on our birthdays; my grandpa always told us he loved us at Thanksgiving Dinner."

One tradition from my family is the family good night prayer. We do this every night on our knees, holding hands in a circle. We pray for each member of the family. It's great fun hearing the girls pray for each member of the family when it's their turn. I prefer traditions centered on faith than superfluous materialistic traditions.


~Write a thank-you letter to someone who has inspired you.
Did this without even realizing it... so awesome to check this off the list. If you wanted to know - it was for a friend of mine who bore a sweet testimony.

I'm also looking for a Laurel Teacher I had in YW - Valerie Hauber. Thought I'd throw it out there. She is by far my favorite YW leader of all time. She inspired me through her grace, elegance and her lessons. I still have every handout she made for us young women. If I never find her, I hope she knows how grateful I am for her influence on me.


~Write a line from a song or poem that speaks to you. Explain why.
Idea: "Doodely-do-do-do. The steel strings caught my attention over the raucous giggling in the back seat. I was chauffeuring the kids along the old Wasatch Boulevard to visit Mom when I first heard Paul Simon sing 'I'm a poor boy, empty as a pocket, empty as a pocket with nothing to lose.' I could relate. We had just come home from a year in England empty as a pocket with nothing to lose . . . "


I am horrible at memorizing lines of songs... I always sing the wrong words...and usually on repeat.... so I'll leave it at Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I've found in my life - that as long as those things are righteous... He always, always gives me that strength. One of my great roommates introduced me to that verse. I have tried to locate her to thank her for that in my life - and haven't been able to find her either... perhaps you can help me, Holly Gillaland Hodgson.

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I'm decompressing in front of my computer right now, and I loved reading your work. I agree about Pres and Sis Hinckley. Isn't it awesome how goodness can make people so beautiful?

Greek Goddess said...

Great stuff. So funny, I was going to write about Sister Hinckley in that post, too, but never got around to it. Miss you!

QueenScarlett said...

Oma - Glad to hear things are better via you blog. And yes... I once had a seminary teacher that said that if we read the BofM we'd be more beautiful... it's not that anything physically changed...but our souls did...and the souls are what make us truly beautiful. ;-)

Greek Goddess - We are so kindred spirits!