Monday, January 17, 2011

A good book

Imagine me reading your favorite book title!


I'm starting to run towards the bottom of my pile of books I'm reading. I'm starting to panic because I don't want a reading lull.

So... what are your favorite books you've read in the last year?

What books are you planning on reading?

What are your all-time favorite books?

Here are some I recently finished/past year, and some all-time favorites that I am a fan of.

Immortal Beloved
Faerie Wars (four book series)
The Name of the Wind
The Help
The Sookie Stackhouse series (10 books)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
A Wrinkle in Time
Elantris
Warbreaker
The Mistborn Trilogy
The Last Chinese Chef
Keturah and Lord Death
Princess of the Midnight Ball
Princess of Glass
Dragon Slippers (series)
Austenland
Princess Academy
C.S. Lewis... anything
Jane Austen ... anything
The Woman in White
A Girl of the Limberlost


This is my PLEA - share the titles you have read, will read, will always read that you love.

From a book lover to you, dear Internets... thank you for all your help.

ps. I am working on regaining myself - and since the summer I have only lost 7lbs. Most of it achieved in the last month - because Nov/Dec are my frenemies. I can easily gain that 7lbs in two days, but it's taken me half a year to lose it. Insanity isn't it? Well - only 15-20 left to go!

10 comments:

cabesh said...

Try the Ranger's Apprentice series. Action, a little fantasy, a little romance. Fun reads!

Rosalyn said...

Since you seem to enjoy fantasy, have you tried Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief Series? I'm also a big fan of Lois McMaster Bujold (esp. the Curse of Chalion), or Patricia Wrede's Sorcery and Cecilia. Allie Condie's Matched is also pretty good, but it's the first in a trilogy and it just came out, so you'll have to wait a while for more. Oh, and I've really enjoyed Blackbringer and SilkSinger (I'm spacing on the author's name right now . . . Laini something.)

There's also a book discussion over at Segullah today, that might give you some ideas!

Mrs. O said...

We like some of the same books! I liked Matched, too - it's a bit more realistic sci-fi. I just read The Forgotten Garden (it's a long one, and skips through different time periods) and I really liked it.

I also read I am Number 4, it was interesting.

Holli said...

One of my favorite books of the last few years is "These is My Words" by Nancy Turner. Some recent books I enjoyed - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Book Thief.

wendysue said...

Two of my favorites in the last few years...Pope Joan and The Thirteenth Tale

Greek Goddess said...

Have you read the Mitford series by Jan Karon? I loved it. She creates the most wonderful characters. She understands human nature. It's a very uplifting read.

The Atomic Mom said...

I read 'The Four Queens" and "The Lady Queen" both by Nancy Goldstone. They are both non-fiction, but read like a juicy, action, packed, non-stop adventure.

The first book, The Four Queens, is about 4 sisters from the Provence region of France in the 1200s. They all end up marrying Kings of Europe and are all queens at the same time. It's very interesting to see how they play family politics off of regional and national politics.

The second book, "The Lady Queen" is about Queen Johanna I of Naples, who is the great-granddaughter of the 4th sister in the Four Queens book. Her time period is about 100 years later. Same thing, good mix of action, adventure, love, religon all of it.

History is so much better than fiction.

QueenScarlett said...

I am overwhelemed. So many good books to dig into... I am so grateful.

Thank you everyone!

cabesh said...

P.S. The "Thursday Next" books.

Julie said...

One of my favorite books this year was The New York Regional Mormon Halloween Dance by Elna Baker. I loved how she writes, she is so witty and funny and I love her honesty with her doubts and struggles being single in the church.

Other books I really enjoyed:
Shadow of the Wind
The book Thief
Freedom
The Glass Castle