Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December Book Group




I hosted my book group's December meeting last Thursday.

I thought it turned out so pretty and delicious, so I thought I'd share.

Savory:
Mini-hot dogs with spicy BBQ sauce - because I like hot dogs and bbq sauce.

Cranberry goat cheese with savory crackers - I am in love with goat cheese.


Soppressata & goat cheese in puff pastry (Ina Garten) - Costco happened to be selling soppressata...and I substituted goat cheese for the gruyere.



Sweet:
Applesauce spice cupcakes w/roasted pear and apple sauce filling (Martha Stewart & Ina Garten) - the picture is in my happiness post from yesterday...

Eton Mess (Ina Garten) - this is my new fav dessert.


Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake (Ina Garten) - I made this for Thanksgiving and wanted a repeat.






My favorite books read from this year in book group include (5 out of 12):


Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer, Annie Barrows
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle

All were a reread of books I've loved and still adore, except for two, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I love food, so the Animal, Veg book was rather fun, and The Guernsey book is so delightful. If you're a reader a writer... you'll adore it's pages, it's characters the writing.

If you're looking for a good book this Christmas season... I highly recommend all of the above. Of course I've read many more books than we've read for Book Group... and read many I've loved. That's what goodreads is for. Click on my goodreads.com button to the right and you can see what I've been crazy for. Any favorite reads on your end this year???

Christmas is only a few days away!!!!!

No comments: