Monday, March 14, 2011

A love of Reading



Some of my fondest memories growing up were found within the pages of a good book. My Mom would pack all of us in into the giant red station wagon, and off to the library we would go. We each had our own library card, and brought home as many books as we could carry.



When the library held their book sales, Mom was there, buying up books for us to devour at home. I remember fondly reading the Boxcar Children, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Choose Your Own Adventure, and biographies, lots and lots of biographies. In fact, I have all those biographies that my Mom purchased from the library, sitting on my bookshelves.

My Mom also read to us. She also read on her own, and we saw that. This still didn't save me from getting in trouble when I stayed up late with a flashlight, hiding under my covers.



My girls love books, because I love books. I love books, because my mother loves books. When I think of my education, of any woman's education - I see the simple, profound impact a mother has with her children. For me, and I hope for my daughters, it is a blessed advantage to have a mother who is well-educated and well-read, who chooses to influence her home to instill a lifelong love of reading.

Who influenced you to love reading?


ps. All growing up I was a shy, unobtrusive, rules follower kind-of-a-kid. Never, ever got into any trouble in elementary school, except when I would read books under my desk during class.

3 comments:

Gina Kleinworth said...

What very special moments you captured- to be cherished!!!

cabesh said...

That story sounds so familiar...just like mine! My mom is a huge reader. Her father was also a tremendous example to me. He was a fantastic student in high school but was drafted into WWII right after. When he came home he was busy taking care of his mother and siblings, then his wife and children, so he never used his GI Bill. But, he could teach himself anything from a book--he built a home for his family entirely from knowledge he gained from books. He loved all kinds of books, and reading the newspaper. He was the most well-read person I've ever met.

QueenScarlett said...

CHM - totally. ;-)

cabesh - I am not surprised your parents were awesome. You are one of my favorite people in this world.