Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Carrying the Title of Liberty

This election cycle and especially for YES on PROP 8 - I keep hearing Captain Moroni's words in my head. Alma 46:10-21

10 Yea, we see that Amalickiah, because he was a man of cunning device and a man of many flattering words, that he led away the hearts of many people to do wickedly; yea, and to seek to adestroy the church of God, and to destroy the foundation of bliberty which God had granted unto them, or which blessing God had sent upon the face of the land for the crighteous’ sake.
11 And now it came to pass that when Moroni, who was the achief commander of the armies of the Nephites, had heard of these dissensions, he was angry with Amalickiah.
12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—aIn memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.
13 And he fastened on his head-plate, and his abreastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the btitle of liberty) and he cbowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of dChristians remain to possess the land—
14 For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church.
15 And those who did belong to the church were afaithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ btook upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or cChristians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come.
16 And therefore, at this time, Moroni prayed that the cause of the Christians, and the afreedom of the land might be favored.
17 And it came to pass that when he had poured out his soul to God, he named all the land which was asouth of the land bDesolation, yea, and in fine, all the land, both on the cnorth and on the south—A chosen land, and the land of dliberty.
18 And he said: Surely God shall not asuffer that we, who are despised because we take upon us the name of Christ, shall be trodden down and destroyed, until we bring it upon us by our own btransgressions.
19 And when Moroni had said these words, he went forth among the people, waving the arent part of his garment in the air, that all might see the writing which he had written upon the rent part, and crying with a loud voice, saying:
20 Behold, whosoever will maintain this title upon the land, let them come forth in the strength of the Lord, and aenter into a covenant that they will bmaintain their rights, and their religion, that the Lord God may bless them.
21 And it came to pass that when Moroni had proclaimed these words, behold, the people came running atogether with their armor girded about their loins, brending their garments in token, or as a ccovenant, that they would not forsake the Lord their God; or, in other words, if they should transgress the commandments of God, or fall into transgression, and be dashamed to take upon them the name of Christ, the Lord should rend them even as they had rent their garments.


Will we carry this title? What will we do to preserve liberty? It makes me very sad to see that there are Mormons fighting against what our Prophet has so clearly laid out. I have a hard time understanding how they can rationalize their actions. I just don't understand it one bit.

I'm grateful for the blessing of being around so many faithful members who know what it means to be disciples of Christ.

4 comments:

La Yen said...

That last part--about being ashamed to take upon them the name of Christ--that is really the problem of so many of the dissenters. They don't want to be seen as conservative, or uncool, or whatever. They are ashamed to be with the brethren on this issue. Which makes me sad. Because if you follow the prophet you can't go wrong.

soybeanlover said...

ditto that! It is scary, but Heavenly Father knows what the fallout will be from Prop 8 not passing(bishops in jail, the Church losing tax exempt status, etc) that we can't see. Nephi didn't like it when he was commanded to slay Laban, but he did it because he was commanded to by the Lord, and couldn't see the whole big picture from his single person perspective.

dalene said...

You know I am grateful for your courage and your integrity and your faith as you have walked the walk and talked the talk, but I must say I think I do understand--at least in part.

For some I have heard from I do believe it comes down to a power struggle, "they're wrong and I'm right" or "they can't tell me what to do," and at the end of the day, I don't understand that. We either believe the prophet is the voice of God and we follow, or we don't. (If it is a hard thing God asks of us we ask God--he will tell us.)

But I know there are others who are not so much afraid of offending their loved ones, as they are deeply wounding them and seeing their families torn apart. I witnessed such a tearing apart with my own family when the church got involved with defining marriage a few years back.

There are more examples I have witnessed and stories I know, but I won't list them all here. I just wanted to say that yes--there are a some who are rebellious and anti and even hateful (they should have a choice and a say, but anyone who chooses or says differently than them should not).

But there are others who are also (I add "also" here lest you think I mean the people for whom this is more plain and simple are not these things--which is not at all what I'm saying) intelligent, compassionate and loving people who feel impossibly torn because they have been asked to do something that is contrary to what is in their hearts.

That I understand.

QueenScarlett said...

La Yen - I agree, it's easy, we all do, to think more of what fallible humans think of us than what God thinks of us.

soybeanlover - There is always a sacrifice/price to be paid when doing what is right... I suppose that's why we are to learn and remember the scriptures and examples before us.

dalene - Thanks for offering a diff't side...thoughts. I guess that's the thing - I have many friends who are struggling with this with their families - but they recognize there's a difference between loving family/friends and doing the right thing...no matter how hard.

I think it's also a matter of understanding that the Church is not defining marriage - God has. The Church is merely protecting it. That's the big mental shift in thinking I'm guessing for folks who don't believe that marriage is divine. Do we believe marriage is ordained of God or don't we? If we do - it's very clear it's not the Church defining it - it's God. So I guess that's where faith comes in...

I'll be honest - when Prop 8 first came out and I thought about how much the tide of society had changed in the 8 years since I first walked the streets for it... I was discouraged...and desensitized to the point where I was sporting the "whatever, let them do what they want" - I was sympathetic when I had chatted with an old friend talking about his wedding and family... it made me happy he was happy - but as I saw the ramifications - that it wasn't about civil rights - wasn't about just two people... I realized that no matter how hard... I had to stand ...no matter how hard, scary, uncomfortable it was - I had to do what was right, because my Prophet - who I believe in - reinforced the importance of marriage.

Our leaders were inspired to provide the Proclamation to the Family in 1995.

I am sympathetic to the things you've seen... and it is hard... that's what life is - hard. A series of hard decisions to progress. I think it's more of a matter of faith - and who we put our trust in. I guess that's the age old debate - trust in God or trust in man (ourselves, others, etc)

Maybe I'm taking the safe road... it's much safer to me to follow the Prophet than an imperfect human being. Good points about hearts... that's the hard thing...we see a small expanse...whereas God can see it all... our hearts can sometimes only encompass what is right before us... when we need to learn to encompass Him as well...

Hard stuff...this place we call life.