Sunday, October 12, 2008

Just the way you are

I love Colin Firth.

I love that phrase in the movie, Bridget Jone's Diary, where Mark Darcy tells Bridget - "I like you just the way you are" after he lists all the imperfections she has.

Today when I was talking with my Bishop he said that God loves me, just as I am. In my imperfect state. That I don't have to prove anything - He loves me, just the way I am.

For some reason - after 31 years I sincerely didn't know that. It had never, ever been mirrored to me that I am lovable just the way I am. No strings attached, no requirements, measurements, no vesting period.

I'm grateful for wise leaders, a husband, who despite my Colin Firth fascination (and many other imperfections) - loves me and accepts me just the way I am. I'm grateful for two daughters who love me unconditionally - who teach me each day how I ought to love, apologize and forgive.

I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father knows me, loves me just as I am...and sees it fit to let me know that He is aware of me, individually.

My Bishop shared with me this scripture from Ether to give me hope - to show me that the trials of my past can make me stronger. Ether 12:27

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

3 comments:

dalene said...

Oh this is something with which I struggle as well. I'm perfectly fine w/ him loving everyone else the just the way they are--and I know this in my head. But in my heart I use everything fault, weakness and failure as excuses why I am not worthy.

Thank you for sharing this. I'll keep trying.

cabesh said...

Learning that was a turning point for me. I was blessed to have a similar experience at age 23. I was talking with my bishop about all of my short-coming and weaknesses, and he said, "You're a good woman." As we discussed further on I realized that I was a good woman, and that the Lord saw me that way too. That I was on the right path, trying to progress, and that's what he asks of us. He loves us all along the way.

It wasn't until then that I became truly converted to the gospel, that I accepted the power of the atonement and realized the love that our Heavenly Father and Savior have for us. And I became so, so happy.

P.S. I've always loved you just the way you are. :)

QueenScarlett said...

Thanks Dalene. I think you're pretty dang wonderful.

Cabesh - I miss you.