Wednesday, April 6, 2011

That time I bought a beer

Recently I posted how I learned to make tamales.

Well, to slow-cook the pork for 6-8 hours, I needed to get a can of beer.

As a member of The Chuch of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, I follow the Word of Wisdom - so I don't drink alcohol. I've never even had a taste. Just never, really felt like it.

So, having never bought one, I hit the grocery store after a workout one Saturday morning. I postponed buying the beer as my last item. Then I called my husband.

QS: Honey, so I have to buy beer to slow-cook the pork. Should I? Should I get something else?
Phantom: You're cute. Just get it. You're cooking it.
QS: Fine.

I then traversed the entire beverage aisle, twice. I couldn't find a single beer. I didn't even know where to look. I felt really, really lame. I knew I'd have to ask someone.

QS: Excuse me. This is going to sound really silly. But where do you keep single cans of beer? I only need one to slow cook pork, and since we don't drink, I have no idea where to look. I tried the beverage aisle and came up with nothing.
GroceryWkr: *laughs good-naturedly* (I think she found me amusing) Of course. I'll show you.
QS: There are a lot of different kinds of beer!
GW: Yes, you have your fancy, more expensi...
QS: I just need one can, that's the cheapest.
GW: Here they are.
QS: Those are huge. Do you sell them half that size, you know, the size of soda cans?
GW: Nope.

Turns out the cheapest one was a Tecate. Which actually worked out since we were making Tamales... (my name is skipito friskito....)

Then I wheeled my cart over to pay for my purchases, and the young cashier guy swipes the beer over the bar code scanner and asks, "Can I see your ID?"

And just like that - I had bought beer and gotten carded for the first time in my 33 years on this earth.




ps. Sorry for the lack of pictures and no happiness post from yesterday - apparently I've reached a blogger quote for posting pictures. Am trying to remedy that forthwith. Cheers!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've had to do that too and then always worried my bishop would be shopping at the same time! Of course, I don't get carded when I buy liquor...you win!